spring cleaning till further notice......

Dear Friend,
Today is Thursday and I’m in the middle of major spring cleaning. Last week my nephew was born and I kind of got side tracked. I’m a typical S.H.E. I forgot all about spring cleaning and went off half cocked sewing and making cute things for the new baby. I worked night and day the last week till the baby shower last weekend. I left this huge job to get back to.

I made a bunch of stuff for my sister and her new son. I made my sister a memory quilt. It turned out really quite. I also made my new nephew a fleece crib blanket with a matching cover to make the blanket into a pillow. I also made him a car seat throw with a matching hat. Then I finished up with a diaper cake. They all turned out great and as soon as I have finished this spring cleaning job I’ll post the pictures and directions.

It’s time to do the annual spring cleaning inside and out. As soon as I get the kitchen, laundry room and linen closet done I’ll start doing the clean up on the yard. I’m giving myself till the 28th to get these things done in the house. Then I’ll move on to the yard. It has to be cleaned too. I know I should have cleaned it all earlier but a baby coming into the world trumps everything else. It’s still too early to plant anything even though the bulbs are stating to peek thru. According to the farmers almanac it's not time to plant yet. So I'll be patient.

So far I have most of the kitchen organized. As the kitchen goes; so goes the rest of the home. I pulled out everything from the kitchen cabinets and set it out to see what I have and what can be gotten rid of. I took all the plastic and cut back on what I didn’t need. I also soaked some of the containers that looked really nasty in bleach. Since I had a lot that really needed bleached I used my favorite large container, the bath tub. I poured the whole bottle of bleach in there. I soaked them most of the day and I’m getting rid of what I don’t want via free-cycle. That way I can’t change my mind and say oh I need that or what ever.

I also fixed my pots and pans. I have a big beef with T-Fal. I bought these pots and pans last year. They are red and I was like all excited because they were suppose to be really good. Wrong! They do cook pretty well but you really have to be careful not to scratch them. It doesn’t take a lot and then they look awful. I’m very disappointed in them. The handles are awesome but that doesn’t make up for the fact that they scratch so easy. I spent a lot of money on them and would have bought a cheaper set had I known what I was in for.

I took a SOS pad and some finger nail polish remover and took the paint off. I dipped the SOS pad in finger nail polish remover and rubbed in circles on each pot. It didn’t take a lot of elbow grease but did take some time and patients. When I got all the red paint off the pots and pans I washed them good in hot water and soap. Once I’d dried everything really good. I then took some steal wool and dipped it in lemon juice and salt and polished the outside. They look awesome. The outside is shiny and the red handles and lids look really good. Now I don’t have to be all careful and can put them in the dishwasher. Just remember to make sure that you wash everything very good.

When I was married to my first husband I did this to some pots and pans I picked up at a yard sale. It looked like I had a matching set when really it was several different sets. You don’t have to spend a lot of money just think outside the box and put a little elbow grease into it.

No comments: